Skip to main content

Chance Encounters



Trams are a delightful sight in the City of Joy, the only ones in India. Slow yet full of heritage and history, from its modern glass roofs to its old wooden seats, the bell for a horn or the dim yellow lights, the trams snake through the city traffic snarling like a child in a sprightly dance. They are never old, for the child in awe or the old man who sits nostalgic. They are a symbol of the soul of the city and everything it stands for, the heart, the culture, the heritage, and the glimpse of the once colonized yet glorious capital city of palaces, of British India.

The story I am about to tell dates perhaps a decade or so back. I was a teenager back then, barely fourteen, and to my imaginative mind, these idle tram rides were my blissful escape from the rush of the everyday rat race.

Quite frankly, like most teenagers are, I was also clueless about my future, struggling with a bit of Algebra and Trigonometry, and trying in vain to understand the pages of basic Chemistry. Arts had always been my strong point. Nevertheless, like every Indian parent, mine was worried about their daughter flunking badly in sciences, a no-brainer for sure and decided for the first time that outside the guidance of my school and that of my parents, I needed tutorials for the same.

On the first day, as I sulked about having more mathematics to attend to, we took the 4.55PM tram to the class. It was fairly crowded on the weekday, with students in uniforms, office goers returning with their heavy bags, and some lovers sitting together enjoying the winter breeze outside. It was a long and slow trip of forty minutes but I gathered it was far better than taking an overcrowded bus any day. At least after a few stops, I got to sit. I was sure I was going to dread every bit of these classes each week, might as well enjoy a bit of the journey to and fro. The seat that emptied up front, made me hurry to grab it, as I put down my bag of books on it startling my co-passenger a bit then took my seat. He seemed a little older than me and the startle made the earphone fall off his left ear as he looked up, put the end back in his ears, looked disinterested and stared out of the window. 

Being an introvert, I do not always strike up conversations with random co-passengers and dread those who do, so it was a welcome relief.
The music from his earphones was loud enough for me to hear and I stared unmindfully at his Pod for a while. He realised he was being watched and stared back at me with questioning eyes. A little embarrassed, I took out a book from my bag and began reading. When the destination arrived, I got down from the Tram and watched it go before hurrying to the tuition class.

The next week, on the same day the same tram was unusually crowded. I could barely manage to stand holding the plastic handle above my head when I lost my balance trying to move away from an old lady’s way and stumbled upon my own shoelaces and crashed into my co-passenger. Embarrassed, I was quick to apologize and as I turned to see who I had stumbled against, a familiar face stared back at me with an understanding nod. His face said he recognized me, and our eyes met briefly before I had to push my way through the crowd to get down.
He followed and got down after me, and as I crossed the road to the other side and turned, I seemed to have lost him in the crowd. I don’t know why I waited all week just hoping to catch him the next week on my tram ride, and I did. This time when our eyes met, we shared half a smile of courtesy, and my heart made a tiny leap at his faint smirk.

Week after week we met in the same tram, for a good forty minutes, sat together at times, exchanged glances, and even smiled at each other when a fellow passenger was saying something amusing. We never spoke, never knew each other's name, I never knew where he came from or where he was headed. I often found myself wondering what his voice would be like. He had dark brown expressive eyes, very common, yet not. 


I never told anyone about these encounters, the stranger on the tram ride, or the fact that he made me look forward to the dreadful tuition classes every day just for the sake of seeing him one more time. I gathered my friends would call me silly, laugh it off, or worse suggest I should talk to him. But here is the thing, I didn’t want to talk. I didn’t want to ruin the silence with words, or the story with dialogue. There was this unexplainable happiness in seeing him and looking forward to those chance encounters yet doing nothing about them. There was this unfinished story, unravelled mystery, that look in his eyes, that heart-fluttering smile that made my day. Each day as if in an unsaid understanding we exchanged glances before getting off the tram, each day we shared a disappointed look at each other if another person blocked our view. Yet, when we did have the chances of sitting beside each other we never exchanged a word. Perhaps he too agreed that words ruin beautiful moments. 

The year seemed to pass too soon and it was the last day of the tuition class. I wanted to see him for one last time; I wanted to perhaps in some way let him know he wasn’t going to see me around anymore. For the past year, every Monday without fail we had seen each other. I had to let go now. I boarded the 4.55PM tram with a nervous feeling in my stomach and looked around for his familiar black bag. He was not there. For the first time in our last encounter, he was not there. I did not know what I felt at that moment, was it sadness or anger or disappointment? Maybe I felt stupid for expecting to see him there. Maybe I just felt empty and tried hard to swallow the heaviness of my chest away.

Five years on, I was in college, grown out of silly infatuations, getting used to the world and heartbreaks. I did not even remember him that much. People came into my life, and People left. That’s how life goes on, I gathered. I was older and wiser. It was a Friday and I dragged my tired legs out of college I decided to take a walk down the lakeside to refresh my mind. Getting myself some snacks I walked through the decorated shaded roads by the lake, as the summer breeze played in my ears. My eyes stopped at the road ahead, in the light of dusk, as I saw two figures approaching. My heart skipped a beat as his eyes met mine and stopped. There was a fair amount of people on the road, couples, old evening walkers, friends frolicking, children playing, and there he was, standing a few feet away from me, his hand in hers.

He did recognize me, the look in his eyes suggested so. Some changes were obvious over the years but eyes don't change. The guy I once thought I knew had turned into a man. He looked at me in a moment of awe as his girlfriend held his hand and pulled him away. She didn't notice him still looking back at the girl he met after five years. I turned back to stare at him one last time, and we smiled faintly. My heart filled with completeness watching him walk away. Perhaps because our story deserves an ending or the wounded heart its closure.

I headed home with a smile. Life has some magic to offer us every day, and he was mine, my chance encounter with fate. Maybe we never had a story, maybe we had more than one, maybe his version of the story will be different from mine, or we will eventually forget about each other someday, or perhaps not.



Comments

  1. Read it.. loved it.. simple yet so nice.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daarun re...

    ReplyDelete
  3. waz a good short story ---------- it waz short yet expressive n told many a tale !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you... keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Towards You

Kunwar Pratap and Ajabde were friends. He didn't feel awkward sharing his plans and thoughts with her anymore. She was more than happy to advise him on everything. She was happy he listened to her advice before taking or discarding them, be it on what to wear to Padmavati's Sagai or how to befriend the revolting Bhils. He loved the way Ajabde always used metaphors from Puranas and Ramayanas to explain the toughest things so easily. She expressed herself so well, so easily that it amazed him.   The Afghans were now led by Mehmood Shah. They have made secret territories in the forests and waited to attack. Rawatji and his spies had confirmed the news and Udai Singh had warned Mehmood Shah to withdraw his troops from Mewar in vain. Now, it was time they declared war. Mehmood Shah had limited resources in Mewar. And his spies clearly suggested that in no way could he win, especially with Kunwar Pratap leading his troops. He was having second thoughts about the war. One of his aides

My Everything

Kunwar Pratap stormed into the Mahal at Gogunda. Happy faces of the chieftains and soldiers welcomed him as Rao Ramrakh and Rawatji stopped the ongoing Raj tilak. A visibly scared Kunwar Jagmal looked clueless at a visibly angry Kunwar Pratap. Rani Dheerbai Bhattiyani hadn't expected this son of Mewar to show up that too twenty-one days after his father's death. He was not informed as per Dheerbai's instructions. She looked at Rawat Ji. He must have gone to Raoji at Bijolia. No one except them knew where Kunwar Pratap was staying. It was for the safety of his family. " What are you doing Chotima?" A disappointed voice came. She could stoop down so low? " We were about to inform you..." She spoke up in her defence. " When Dheerbai ji?" Maharani Jaivanta Bai, clad in white entered the hall as people bowed before her. " After your son's coronation?" " I did nothing Badima I swear!" A low voice came from Jagmal. " Maha

Dreams and Wishes

At dawn, the Bhil women took the girls to the Kalika Mata Temple and the Jal Kund. Dressed in white a nervous Heer followed everything Ajabde knew and did, trying to explain the significance of the rituals to her. They prayed to Lord Ganesh. Kunwar Shakti and Kunwar Pratap were staying at Punja Ji's place as they were not supposed to see the brides before the wedding. Ajabde was dressed in her mother's lehenga, a mang tika Jaivanta Bai gave her as a family heirloom and the simple nosering Pratap had gifted. They made their hair into a simple bun with wildflowers before putting on her dupatta. Heer was dressed in traditional Bhil jewellery of silver and beads that the women had gifted her. They made her wear a red and white saree draped as a lehenga and a red chunri with it. She looked like a pretty colourful Bhil bride. Kunwar Shakti was a nervous groom dressed in a traditional bhil dhoti, kurta and cap. The bhil shawl hung from a side, making the white attire colourful. K

Destiny

The war was almost won.  A few of Marwar’s soldiers were left on the field along with Rao Maldeo Singh Rathore, their king and leader.  He was thinking of retreating at the end of this day. As his sword clashed with one of the opponent generals as he eyed the opponent King now open and prone to attack. A little hope flickered in his mind as his eyes instructed his closest aide.  The opponent was quite in a winning situation thanks to their new Senapati. He was just 16 yet his bravery and valour reflected his blood and upbringing. He mesmerised the opponents and even Rao Maldeo with his clever war strategies and sword skills. As Maldeo’s aide swung his sword at a taken aback Udai Singh, someone’s sword defended it as his body acted like a shield for the king. He killed the man in one go. “ Ranaji are you okay?” “ Haan Raoji.” He nodded gratefully.  By half the day, the Marwar army had retreated as the air filled with “ Jai Mewar! Jai Eklingji!” From the triumphant soldiers. Rana Udai Si

She Left...

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family. A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak has left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as

The Journey Begins

“Love is best expressed in actions, than words.” Rukaiya Sultana Begum had accompanied her mothers in law Bega Begum and Hamida Banu Begum to the garden of Babur.  The occasion was indeed special. After years of struggle, Humayun had won back parts of Lahore, against the Suris. It was a long stretch of difficult days that had finally seen some sunshine. Rukaiya, clad in fuchsia pink silk attire embroidered with gold and pearls, appeared before the marble tomb of her late Grandfather, of whom she had only heard tales. Rukaiya knelt before the tomb to offer her prayers, of thanks and gratitude. She knew that today, Jalal would be happy. He had not accompanied his overprotective father and Bairam Khan at war, but was under the care of his tutors instead, near Lahore. It was he who had sent a messenger with the happy news to his mothers. The ladies were relieved. At last, Babur’s dreams were coming true. Rukaiya Begum was happy for a different reason altogether. The messenger had

Survival

Ye woh dandal hai ke jisse Tu nikalega mujhko Tu hi rakshak Tu hi sathi mera. "Pishima." Prabhavati applied oil on Sadhana Debi's knees as she spoke "I was wondering, now that the Bouma is here to take care of the house, the Roy Chowdhury mansion will no longer miss Didi." She smiled faintly "After her, things would fall apart… if not for Trilochan da…" Sadhana shook her head. "It's been two days. Don't even compare them to Shubhra." She almost snapped. "Especially that girl." Prabhavati looked up. "She acts like she has been caged. She is always interested more in the outside world of men. That's not a good sign." She shook her head. "There is a saying, Khay day Pakhiti boner dike Akhiti ." Sadhana fussed "She is like that." Prabhavati smiled silently. "Mejo Bouma is educated too, isn't she?" Sadhana looked suspicious. "I bet she will also be pushed to it. You know my mo

Understandings

After counting days, Ajabde was happy that she was going to Bijolia. She knew how eager her mother and Ratan would be to know about her new life. She couldn't wait to hug her mother and feel like... Home. She was selecting gifts for her parents and her siblings as per Ranima's instructions. Then suddenly an idea struck her mind. Her new family welcomed her with so much love and support. Especially Ranima and Majhli Maa Sa. She wanted to give them something. Suddenly she remembered that Ranima had loved her embroidery work on dupattas back in Bijolia so she called a Dasi and ordered some plain Chunris and embroidery threads. She had a lot of work to finish in a day before leaving.   Kunwar Pratap came back into the room to see her on the floor, right in the middle of the room with red, green, yellow, and pink all sorts of dupattas scattered. " What's all this?" He asked not sure if he should be asking. " I am making gifts. For Ranima, Majhli ma, Rani Dheer Bai

You Deserve More

Ajabde woke up with the song of birds as she felt something warm clinging to her hand. Her eyes went wide. Her hand was on the pillow in between, between his hands, clasped as he slept. She thought of removing it slowly but he was holding it so tight. Ajabde's heart beat faster and faster. What do I do now? How do I not wake him? What if... why is my hand in his? She was utterly confused.   " Am I..." In love? Pratap was staring at the sleeping figure on his bed as he again looked back at the rain. Then he looked back frowning as she shivered. He closed the windows of the room, to make it cosy then sat on his side of the bed. A lamp flickered on her side like always and he stared at her sleeping figure as he put his blanket over her as well. She shifted a little in her sleep to make herself cosy again. Her payals and bangles made a rhythmic sound breaking the silence of the room. Her hand was out of her blanket and on the pillow in between. He tried to slowly put it in th

The Promises

“Love comes unexpectedly, like a gust of wind in the summer afternoon.” The morning was gloomy at Bijoliya. Rawat Chundawat and Rao Ramrakh Punwar sat with dejected faces that showed that they had been insulted enough for their idea of peace by the Rana. Kunwar Partap sat rubbing his hands with a frown. Kunwar Shakta fumed at his father’s irrational behaviour. “I apologize.” Kunwar Partap broke the silence “On his behalf, for your insults.” Rao Ramrakh looked up at the crown prince joining his hands before him, in shock. “No No Kunwarsa!” He held his hands humbly “You need not apologize. Ranaji is right. This is his decision, we cannot…” His words faded out as Rawatji placed his hand gently on his shoulder. “It cannot be his decision if it is Mewar’s future at stake Raoji.” Kunwar Shakta fumed. Kunwar Partap shot him a warning glance that made him stop. Kunwar Shakta was angrier at what Rawatji mentioned. Their father had even gone to the extent of breaking personal ties